Friday 15 June 2007

Georgia O'Keeffe


I admire the work of Georgia O'Keeffe. I think her style is really interesting. She creates many paintings of flowers. I like the way she makes you look at a seemingly normal, everyday object in a different way. The paintings are of flowers but these flowers become powerful abstract images.


'Nobody sees a flower, really, it is so small. We haven't time - and to see takes time like to have a friend takes time.

If I could paint the flower exactly as I see it no one would see what I see because I would paint it small like the flower is small. So I said to myself - I'll paint what I see - what the flower is to me but I'll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking time to look at it - I will make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see of flowers.

...Well, I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower you hung all your own associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see of the flower - and I don't.'

-Georgia O'Keeffe

2 comments:

Lauren Davis said...

A few years ago I did a lot of research on the works of Georgia O'Keeffe and appreciate her work to a certain extent. I understand the reasons behind blowing up certain areas and making them strong abstract images. I do like the vibrant colours she uses, however I feel that some of the paintings lack passion and can look flat, mainly due to the same large brush strokes she uses creating quite a dull finished outcome.

ksw said...

I really like the work of Georgia O'Keeffe. A lot of modern art tries to say too much and ends up being all about the concept with little visual appeal. O'Keeffe's work is vibrant and beautiful, whilst still giving the viewer a new perspective on the world.