Wednesday 11 July 2007

MoMA, New York


MoMA is regarded as the leading museum of modern art in the world. I visited it on my recent trip to New York. It has a very impressive collection including 'The Starry Night' by Van Gogh, 'Les Demoiselles d'Avignon' by Picasso, 'Campbell's Soup Cans' by Andy Warhol, and other work by Kandinsky, Mondrian and Magritte amongst many others. It is interesting to see how much more of an impact these famous paintings have in real life.


One painting which really stood out for me was 'Water Lillies' by Monet. I was surprised at how large it was. The size really had an effect on the viewer. It made it a more powerful and dramatic painting than when I had seen it as an image in a book.


Another artist's work which really impressed me was that of Jackson Pollock. The Museum held a number of his pieces. Previously I had been quite sceptical of his work, not believing it to show much skill. However, since seeing them in real life and being able to look at them up close, it was intriguing to see the surface of the work. The paintings became more interesting this way than when they are viewed two dimensionally in a book.

No comments: