Tuesday 17 July 2007

Willard Wigan

I came across this sculptor in an article in the Telegraph. However, he is not your average sculptor. He is the creator of the world's smallest sculptures. According to Wigan, 'I need to work between heartbeats, or else the pulse in my finger will cause a mistake.'


The Statue of Liberty

Wigan carves his microscopic figures out of rice, and fragments of grains of sand and sugar, which are then mounted on pinheads or placed in the eye of a needle. To bring his works of art to life he paints them using a hair plucked from the head of a housefly.


Henry VIII with his six wives

An excerpt from the article reads:
'I was sculpting the whole cast of Alice in Wonderland and I was really looking forward to finishing it because it was that good,it would probably of been my best piece so far. But just as I was about to put Alice in place alongside the other characters I inhaled her. I breathed in at the wrong moment, and she was gone. In my panic I accidentally wiped out some of the characters too.'
I think this shows just how dleicate and micrscopic his work is. I find it fascinating and would love to see how he works.


The Lloyd's Building

2 comments:

Alissa said...

I saw this artist on tv the other day. He is absolutely amazing - I cant imagine the patience required to produce such things. My favourite was the doll house with all the tiny delicate details of furniture (from cuttlery to beds - he didnt miss anything!)

Holly Mee said...

i do not know how he does this, when i was about 10 someone in spain wrote my name on some rice put it in a small tube on a necklace and i was impressed by that but this is fantastic, very good hand eye coordination.